Website review

Niagara man who killed his wife capable of running ‘disturbing’ website behind bars, court hears

When her father was sentenced to life in prison following her mother’s brutal stabbing death in 2014, Kim Gillespie thought she would never have to hear from him again.

But George Fraser would not remain silent.

From his cell in a federal penitentiary, Fraser wrote a 162-page manuscript titled “What Ever Happened to George and Judy.”

“He detailed the murder of his ex-wife and the grievances he had against various family members and friends,” Assistant Crown Attorney Richard Monette told the Ontario Court of Justice on Wednesday. in St. Catharines.

“The details of the manuscript were somewhat graphic and intimate and certainly unsettling.”

With the help of two women, Fraser was able to hire a website developer to create a website to share his manuscript.

The website went live in November 2020.

Also that month, with the help of one of the women, personalized postcards with the website address arrived in the mailboxes of 11 people.

Among the recipients were friends of her children.

Following his conviction, he was under a court order prohibiting him from having contact with a number of people, including his children.

“The postcards were purposely sent to people close to these people, in their immediate circle, to ensure that the website would be brought to their attention,” Crown said.

And he did.

A friend, not wanting to upset Gillespie, contacted her husband and told him about the disturbing website.

“I’ve always been afraid that George will hurt me, and the website heightened my fears and validated them,” Gillespie said Wednesday.

That a convicted murderer, with help, was able to create a website, she said, was both “shocking and chilling”.

“The content of the website is disturbing and contains countless false, malicious and derogatory comments about me, so that Mr. Fraser can blame me for my mother’s murder.”

Fraser, 79, appeared via video in the St. Catharines courtroom on Wednesday to face charges of stalking and failing to obey a court order.

The charges were dropped after the offender agreed to a three-year peace bond on the condition that he have no contact with a number of people, including members of the family and the recipients of the postcards.

“In the view of the Crown, there was a reasonable prospect of conviction here, however, given the strain on the courts with COVID, it would be inappropriate to spend days or even weeks prosecuting Mr Fraser while he is already serving a life sentence. “, said Monette.

Fraser was 72 when he was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for 18 years.

Judy Fraser in the fall of 2013 made the brave decision to end her 47-year marriage and start a new life after suffering decades of mental and verbal abuse at the hands of her husband.

On January 16, 2014, George Fraser was waiting in the parking lot of his wife’s apartment complex in St. Catharines.

When she arrived home, he approached her and stabbed her 18 times with a fishing knife.

He left the beloved mother and grandmother to die on the cold sidewalk, the knife buried in her chest.

On the day of her murder, Judy had attended a counseling session meant to hold her accountable through the separation process.

When she first moved into the apartment building on St. Augustine Drive, she was careful not to let George know where she lived, but he was able to find her new address because it was on the separation papers. .

Judy’s two daughters gave victim impact statements at their father’s sentencing in 2015.

Gillespie spoke of the terror and abuse the family endured for decades at the hands of their father.

“I believe this crime was the defendant’s last act of control against my mother,” she said.

She said she lives in fear that her father will one day kill her.

“Since that crime, I have lived in fear every day, knowing that if he gets out of prison, it will be my last day on earth.”

His sister Tracy Haley, who described their mother as a “quiet, elegant woman who loved her god, her family and her friends”, spoke directly to her father.

“You will never see my face again, hear my voice, hug me, hear my laugh or listen to my stories,” she said.

After killing his wife, the court heard, Fraser drove to his daughter’s home.

“After he committed the horrific crime, he made it a point to show up at my house that night and yell at me and blame me for what he had just done,” Gillespie told the court in his victim statement.

“At the time, we didn’t know what had happened. I couldn’t stand the verbal abuse so I left the room. The next thing I remember is my husband escorting George out of our house and telling me to call 911 as he uttered the words, “I think your dad just killed your mom. .”

Source link